Wednesday, February 4, 2009

What an interesting time in life

Sandy Staton is a former ConocoPhillips, Inc employee. She taught several personal and career development courses during the early years of my career. A precious thing she freely shared in her classes was a little bound booklet entitled "Things I have heard all my life and wish I could Remember".

I look through the pages of that booklet every so often. A saying that appeals to me right now: Do you see problems in every opportunity or do you see opportunities in every problem?"

I suppose this has appeal as I watch the bio clock ticking away. Fast approaching the age where we begin to circle the runway and posture for a smooth landing, it's time to stop wasting time. Stop wasting time being anxious about things that don't deserve attention. Stop wasting time trying to remember why there is a grudge or time hanging on to the bitterness from one. Stop wasting time being critical of people trying to do something.

Instead, this is the era of life personally and in world history where we must keep our eyes on the metaphorical fuel gauge and begin estimating how much time remains to accomplish personal goals. How many more times will I be able to hug my grandchildren and let my children know how proud I am of what they have become.

This is the era where I immerse myself in the things that God has designed for my life and seek to fulfill His mandate to serve others, even "the least of these." It is time to celebrate the wonderful memories of spontaneous moments. It's time to relish the memories of my mom, my dad and my in-laws. The one poet wrote about "what will you do with your dash?"

I guess it is time to evaluate the current worth of my dash.

No comments:

Post a Comment